Guard Your Home Computer Against Spyware
Did you know that 9 out of 10 PCs connected to the Internet are infected with spyware*?
Answer these questions to see if you might be a victim.
- Do you see more pop-up ads than you ever did?
- Have your settings changed and you can’t change them back?
- Does your Web browser contain additional components that you don’t remember downloading?
- Is your computer sluggish?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, then your computer might be infected with spyware.
What is Spyware?
Spyware is a tracking device installed on your computer that gathers information about your browsing habits, such as Websites you visit and how much time you spend there. Spyware developers sell the data to advertisers for marketing purposes.
If you are kept anonymous and no private information is collected, advertisers are not breaking laws by installing spyware on your system. However, illegal spyware may record private information such as usernames and passwords, or account and credit card numbers.
Secure Your Computer... and Your Privacy
- Set your browser security to medium or higher
- Never accept downloads from people or companies you don’t know
- Thoroughly investigate software you intend to install
- Install a personal PC firewall
*National Cyber Security Alliance.